Orthodox churches of Estonia

Church of St Nicholas (Kopli)




Date of consecration: 13 November 1936 by Metropolitan Alexander (Paulus) of Tallinn and all Estonia

In 1913, in one of the shops of the Russia-Baltic Plant, a church in the name of Saint Nicholas was built and consecrated on November, 17 by Archbishop John (Smirnov) of Riga and Mitav. The church burned down in 1934. For the construction of a new church there was organized a building committee which started to raise funds. The design of a wooden church was executed by a Russian architect, an inhabitant of Kopli, Alexander Vladovsky (1876 — 1950), a graduate of the St.-Petersburg Academy of Arts. A new wooden church in the name of Saint Nicholas was built during 3 months and consecrated in 1936 by Metropolitan of Tallinn and All Estonia Alexander (Paulus).

The church is famous for its dark carved icon cases.

Archpriest Vasily Lysak, who was the church rector for a long time and a wonderful handy man, made amazing church furniture and clerical garments. He made new cupolas, painted walls and the roof. It seemed that he could do everything! At the same time, he was an earnest pastor who loved the Liturgy and who part in services until his death.


Address: Treiali 6, 11712 Tallinn
Web site: http://www.koplikirik.ee
Facebook: ru-ru.facebook.com/nikolausekirik


back to list

Location of the churches on the map

Scroll to top